Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Keep away from me!


Well it's here. Again and who knows if it will leave for a few days or settle for months. But winter is here. I haven't run in the sleet yet, but I will after my next class. And again after the next. My students, I hope, won't mind my teaching in a beanie as I refuse to do my hair that many times a day.

Many of my friends were dismayed when I claimed that I was not ready for winter yet. They love skiing (or snowboarding) and so do I. BUT IT SNOWED UNTIL JUNE! Just four snow-free months isn't enough. It's not that I don't want snow: I can accept winter in the mountains. By all means, snow snow snow, but keep it in the mtns. My dad is going to hike/ski this weekend and I'm quite jealous, but a good friend is going through the temple for the first time, so I'm going with her. There will be more time for snow. Oh, will there be more time for snow.

Okay, so I feel like I've complained enough. I am excited to ski. I started composing this posting a while ago and since then October turned into November and winter has my permission to visit, but I still think it should stay in the mtns for a while. It's hard to get out and run in the cold. I still do it, but it's rough. Here area  few things that help:
1-Layers! They keep you warm but allow for shedding in case you actually warm up
2-Hats: I never ran in hats until I moved to Logan. It's a bit nippy up here sometimes. Ear wamers or whatever they're called sometimes do cover it. Ha- they don't cover...not as much material as a hat...ha. Ok. Lame, I know. I'm just trying to avoid grading papers.
3-Music/books to listen to. I don't generally run with music for hard workouts, but a friendly voice can help lure me outside when I really don't want to go.
4-Wait. If you can, run in the middle of the day. Not everyone can do this, but it helps to see the sun. 
5-Enjoy the crunching sound of running in fresh snow. I haven't had this opportunity yet. Hasn't stuck in town yet, but I do love the sound of running in snow. 

No comments: