Sunday, March 15, 2009

Glam

It's been a while. so sorry. i'll use the excuse that i've been too busy running (i have been. check my training at lisap.fastrunningblog.com).  anywho, i'll tell a funny tale to make amends to the millions who have been biting their nails in anticipation of my next post.

This story requires a bit of preface. Being an avid runner comes with...hazards, not all of which are injuries.  This specific, however, begins with an injury.  Just after my st. george marathon in 2007 my achilles tendons were on the verge of seceding from the union and would not hear tales of meeting "half-way" and demanded a break.  Thus, the pool running began again.  After a few months of pool running I was in and out of the gym all the time, sometimes running on land a bit, often elipticalling or biking.  I was in and out of the gym on campus often as i drop in between classes (i teach at usu). my schedule just happened to coincide with this good-looking red-head's schedule who worked there. we were there at the same time in the day and often in the evening as well and chatted every now and again. i swear i didn't go at those times because he was there. but it was certainly a perk. 

anyway, after a while we became friends or at least acquaintances and i learned he had a semi-serious girlfriend (of course) but that was ok because he was still cute and fun to chat with.  one day he came up to me while i was stretching before a run and said, "lisa, i feel like i can tell you this now that we're friends."
     Curiosity piqued, i said, "ok. go on.."
"So one of the first times i ever saw you, you were running up the hill on eighth."
        "k" i continued stretching waiting for him to tell me how i was running fast and that he was impressed with me.
"well i knew you had to be really into running..."
suspicion confirmed. compliment on running. yeah (usually i try to avoid these because i'm somewhat bashful with compliments but he was cute so i didn't care)
luckily my silent commentary lasted only a second so i didn't have to make him repeat: "...because you had the biggest snot-stache i think i've ever seen."
I must have blinked and maybe dropped my jaw (as cliche as that is) because i did not expect to hear that. you don't tell a girl you saw her with a snot-stache regardless of how hard she's running. i must have run pretty hard to mess up a snot-rocket or farmer-blow (both sound much more vulgar that i'd like them too. i hesitated at using either in this blog. oh well, i am not a dainty woman when i run. apparently).
i managed to laugh at the story and we became better friends. even when he'd introduce me to people with that story. like he later said, it's a good thing we weren't dating because he'd tell that story all the time. 

good thing indeed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

oh my holy goodness!!!
1st of all that is the funniest thing i've ever heard!! and 2nd, you NEVER told me that story. i recall hearing all about the good looking red head from the gym but you failed to mention that story....

Lisa said...

YAY! i succeeded in surprising you! that never happens. too bad it was embarrassing.